James Monroe Museum
Posted: February 6, 2013 | Updated: December 14, 2018
- “The Monroes were the first family to live in the newly rebuilt White House following the War of 1812.”
- The family established the style of living that still exists in the White House today
Visitors have the opportunity to see some of the furnishings the Monroes brought to the White House during James Monroe’s term as president, including:
- The famous “Monroe Doctrine Desk,”
- Formal dinner and dessert china
- Monroe’s piano that dates back from 1790.
- Also learn about the Monroes’ relationship with Washingtonian society.
Fun Fact: In January of 1803 President Thomas Jefferson sent James Monroe to France to negotiate the Louisiana Purchase.
December 14, 2018