Posted: February 6, 2013 | Updated: May 13, 2020
- The only buildings to survive from this originally 1300 acre plantation are the main building and a store near the river
- The Lewises, their four children, and 80 slaves lived on this plantation
- The plantation got its name from the Gordon family, who bought the plantation in 1819, after the family’s ancestral home in Scotland (“Kenmuir”)
- Major exhibits/features of Kenmore include a diorama of the entire city of Fredericksburg, an extensive family tree, and plasterwork ceilings dating back to the colonial period
Fun Fact: A cannonball is lodged in one wall of the mansion’s brick exterior.
May 13, 2020