Hosting A Family Reunion In Fredericksburg
Are you new to hosting family reunions or maybe just want to shake things up a bit? Fredericksburg is where you need to be! There are several parks and beautiful indoor spaces, like banquet rooms, perfect for a large gathering. We also have numerous hotels and bed and breakfast options for out of town guests. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, here are a few tips to get you started.
- First, ask members of your family what type of reunion they would like to have. You also need to ask yourself what kind of reunion would you be comfortable organizing. Should you ask other family members to help? Will there be several young children or elderly family members? Should this be a one day event or a while weekend? Is most of the family coming from out of town/state?
- We can’t emphasize enough to ask for help when you need it, and form committees. Delegating tasks is a great way to get people involved and keep you from getting overwhelmed.
- Reach out to the experts. Work with your Tourism Department or Convention and Visitors Bureaus (CVBs). They can help you narrow down what options are available for reunion locations, based on what your needs are. Let them know if you’re looking for an outdoor space, a banquet hall, and/or hotel accommodations.
- Use the family reunion as an opportunity to collect and catalogue family history and obtain oral histories. Take plenty of video and pictures. You may also want to consider hiring a local photographer or videographer. Do members of your family have ancestry.com or 23andMe.com profiles? Bring those findings with you as well.
- Engage the younger generations by asking for help to create websites and social media. We suggest creating a Facebook Event as well as a hashtag unique to your reunion.
Check out our Reunions Page for our Reunion Toolkit and great resources that you can use to create your reunion in the Fredericksburg Region.