Christmas is over but that doesn’t mean that the magic has to end! Welcome in this new year and decade with a little romance. Winter in the Fredericksburg region can be cold, dark, and grey. The perfect opportunity show some love and bring the light! It could be something small and thoughtful or a grand gesture of your love and devotion.
Take our advice – Don’t wait for Valentine’s Day for romance.
Small and meaningful
Cozy up with a hot drink at a cheerful coffee shop in historic downtown Fredericksburg. There’s something inherently romantic about a coffee shop. Just think about how many Hallmark movies take place there. We suggest popping in after a crisp stroll through downtown.
- Agora Downtown Coffee Shop now has two locations! Check them out at their original spot on Caroline St. and their new place, Canal Quarter Coffee by Agora, on Princess Anne St.
- 2530 Espresso
- Curitiba Art Cafe
- Hyperion Espresso
You don’t always have to leave the house to bring the love. Cooking someone their favorite meal is so special and such a sweet gesture. If you both love to cook, this can easily turn into a fun date night activity by doing it together – just remember that doing the dishes is a gift unto itself.
If you’re going to cook, keep the ingredients local and fresh by supporting local farmers.
- Walnut Hill Farm – The farm is open on the weekend ( Sat & Sun 2:00pm -5:00pm ). Take a tour together and see first hand where your food comes from. Walnut Hill offers eggs, chicken, pork, beef, lamb, and raw wool.
- Braehead Marketplace – Braehead has farm fresh dairy, jams, honey, and pies year round. Produce is seasonal.
If you want to cook, but have no idea where to begin (we see you) we highly recommend taking a cooking class. They are offered and Whittingham’s and Orofino’s in downtown Fredericksburg. These make a great gift or date night activity, too!
For many of us the end of the year and Christmastime were lovely, but draining. Fill that cup back up! Spas and Massage centers all over the area offer an array of packages to fit most budgets. Yes it may sound cheesy, but nothing beats the gift of total relaxation!
Here are a few packages we suggest:
- Skin + Touch Therapy – Schedule a couples massage or a Restorative Infrared Sauna session (They could do it alone for me-time, or you could both go as a couple.).
- Massage Envy – Pair a massage with a personalized facial.
- LaVida Massage of Fredericksburg- Nothing beats a custom Massage Session just for them.
- Rejuvalase Med Spa – A Hot Stone massage on a cold day sounds perfect!
Sweeten their day with something they can’t get just anywhere. The Fredericksburg region is home to several top notch bakeries and artisanal sweets shops. Here are a few to check out:
- Mimi’s Bakery – Try one of their famous muffins or croissants.
- Paul’s Bakery – A Fredericksburg region icon! Call ahead for a cake order. Walk in for tasty doughnuts.
- The Icing Baking Company – Cakes! Cannolis! Cupcakes! Even “pupcakes” for your dog. Order online or through Doordash.
- Frenchman’s Corner – The chocolates are unforgettable!
For the true romantic, it doesn’t get better than a private carriage ride through the history rich streets of downtown Fredericksburg. This is perfect for those who are curious about Fredericksburg’s past, lovers of folklore or just down for a good ghost story. Olde Towne Carriage Tours‘ coachman (person holding the reigns) will cover some of the most interesting facts of the region, as well as what’s happening around town. We highly recommend bringing something warm to drink and dressing for the weather.
Sometimes the most romantic gesture is just getting away from life for a minute. The Fredericksburg region is home to some truly special weekend retreats. For wintertime romance, we love a rustic, nostalgic vibe. Extra points for a fireplace!
- Stevenson’s Ridge – This 87 acre historic property boasts an Inn that includes nine private cottages from the 18th and 19th centuries, ranging from 1 to 2 bedrooms. We suggest the Romance Package – “Imagine returning from dinner to a cabin lit by candlelight or wood-burning fire, a delicious display of locally made artisan chocolates and silk rose petals scattered throughout. Includes turndown service. MUST be ordered a minimum 24 hours in advance.”
- Kenmore Inn – Located in the heart of downtown Fredericksburg, The Kenmore Inn in offers a renowned restaurant and beautiful rooms to escape to for the weekend. If you stay at The Kenmore Inn you must have dinner and Sunday brunch at their restaurant. It was voted as one of OpenTable’s 2019 Diners Choice award winners.
- Richard Johnson Inn – Also in downtown Fredericksburg, The Richard Johnson Inn knocks shoulders with some of the best shopping and dining in the historic Main Street area. Any one of their special add on packages is sure to take your romantic weekend getaway to the next level. You can’t go wrong with any of them, but the “Superb” and the “Romance Package” have stolen our hearts.