African American History of Spotsylvania
In 1905 members of black churches in Spotsylvania collected $1.25 to start the first school for their children. The call came from teacher John J. Wright, who thought the county’s black youth deserved better education. A two-story school building came into being fifteen years later. After it burned down in 1941, a larger and sturdier structure John J. Wright Consolidated School replaced it. Today the building still stands serving students of all races and backgrounds, and also houses the John J. Wright Museum and Cultural Center.