Confederate Cemetery in Spotsylvania County
Local women concerned about these unattended plots formed the Spotsylvania Memorial Association. In 1866 they established a Confederate Cemetery on five acres of land a half mile northeast of the Court House. The Association reburied nearly 600 soldiers from 10 states in the new location. Most are identified and organized by state. A few remain unknown. Headstones provided by the federal government mark all of the graves. In the center of the cemetery, a granite shaft crowned by a stone confederate solider silently stands watch over the dead.