Rising Sun Tavern
Built by George Washington’s youngest brother Charles around 1760 as his home, this frame building became a tavern in 1793 when it was purchased by the Wallace family. It operated for 35 years as a stopover for travelers in the bustling port town of Fredericksburg.
Restoration of the Rising Sun Tavern began in 1907 and included reviving the Tavern’s handsome woodwork and restoring the front porch.
Although the Rising Sun Tavern no longer serves food and drink, costumed interpreters provide a lively interpretation of daily life in an 18th century tavern.