Spotsylvania Court House Historic District
The Court House District is rich with history. Battered during the Civil War, the Spotsylvania Court House itself is restored today with the original columns.
Nearby the Spotswood Inn (ca. 1820) has been a school, post office, tavern, as well as an inn. The Inn was also military headquarters for General Jubal Early and an observation point for General Robert E. Lee during the war. Christ Episcopal Church served as a Civil War Hospital. The Confederate Cemetery provides a final repose for nearly 600 Confederate soldiers. Finally, see the old Jail, built in 1781 and moved to its present site in 1839.