St. James’ House
The St. James’ House was built around 1768. The house was originally home to James Mercer. Mercer was a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses, first judge of the General Court in Fredericksburg, and the attorney who drew up the will for Mary Washington. Mercer built the house on land once owned by Fielding Lewis, brother-in-law of George Washington. St. James’ House has been elegantly restored with an outstanding collection of antiques. The collection includes 17th- and 18th-century porcelains, brass, pewter, and portraits.
The house is particularly noted for the collection of antique furniture and decorative arts assembled by Daniel Breslin and William Tolerton, who restored St. James’ in the mid-1960’s. St. James’ House is one of the museums owned by Washington Heritage Museums, and is within a short walking distance of its other three sites: the Mary Washington House, Rising Sun Tavern, and Hugh Mercer Apothecary Shop.
Open 1-4pm during Garden Week in April and the first full week in October. Group tours are also offered by appointment.