Walk Through History… Washington Avenue
Pick up this self-guided walking tour brochure at the Fredericksburg Visitor Center or download it on the Fred Map App!
This residential neighborhood was once part of the 863-acre Kenmore Plantation. For years the only house was the Lewis mansion which was built in 1752. Located on the plantation and not far from the Lewis home was a ledge of rocks looking westward over a small valley. This was a favorite spot of Mary Washington, mother of Betty Washington Lewis, and she asked to be buried there. In 1833 a monument to Mary Washington at her grave site was partially built but was not completed. In 1851 the town of Fredericksburg expanded its boundaries to include this area. Until 1889 the “Kenmore Plain” was only open farmland with the Lewis house and the unfinished monument.